The construction crews at Southside Elementary School are working from top to bottom, with each crew’s schedule staggered for each floor, enabling work to move along efficiently throughout the building. With most of the third floor painted, wall accessories, such as markerboards and tack boards, are beginning to be hung. On the second floor, crews finished drywalling and taping, and paint and ceiling grid work are following closely behind. Finally, on the first floor, in-wall mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection (MEPF) work is wrapping up, with insulation to be installed soon after.
Other ongoing construction
- Proceeding with demolition and excavation of the south canopy entrance
- Continuing masonry work on the west side of the addition and the third floor of the building on the green roof
- Installing ceramic tiling in the first-floor bathrooms
- Continuing MEPF work in the gym
- Installing boilers in the mechanical room on the third floor
- Finishing framing work throughout the three floors of the main addition
DID YOU KNOW? On the third floor of the building a new green roof, which is essentially a miniature garden, will be installed on a portion of the roof. The purpose of the green roof is to reduce energy use by providing shade, thermal mass, and insulation.