Rimrock Elementary School - Referendum 2020
Check this page often for updates.
MMSD recently purchased the land and building located at 501 East Badger Road. The building at this location currently houses the Badger Rock Neighborhood Center and Badger Rock Middle School. The new elementary school will be built at this location.
Our district has partnered with the organization, Rooted, which offers community programs out of the Badger Rock Neighborhood Center. Programming at the neighborhood center will continue and the new Rimrock Area elementary school will be attached, or added to the current building.
A team of architects are continuing to work with MMSD Building Services staff and the community to host feedback sessions with students, staff and families to help us prioritize our next steps.
Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in August 2022.
New Elementary School
The Rimrock area (south of the beltline and east of South Park St./Highway 14) is home to more than 400 MMSD students who attend schools approximately 6 miles from home with bus rides as long as 42 minutes.
- Approximately 260 of these students attend Frank Allis Elementary School on Madison’s far East side at 4201 Buckeye Rd.
- Approximately 150 of these students attend Nuestro Mundo Community School, a dual-language public charter school that operates out of a facility leased from the Monona Grove School District at 902 Nichols Rd. in Monona.
We believe that a priority is to build a new elementary school in the Rimrock area to address structural equity concerns and better serve students and families living there.
We’re looking toward actions that would benefit both Nuestro Mundo students and Frank Allis students.
Through October and November, we met with both school communities and with the Rimrock area neighborhood to help us explore options:
- Moving Nuestro Mundo into a new building in the Rimrock area.
- Moving Allis Elementary School students into a new building in the Rimrock area, and moving Nuestro Mundo students into the Frank Allis building.
- Other options
- Where will the Rimrock area school be located?
- What happens to Badger Rock Middle School?
- Why was this site selected?
- Who will attend the Rimrock area school?
- Will Nuestro Mundo Community School still be an option for families?
- If we live in the attendance area of the new school and do not want to attend the new school or Nuestro Mundo, what options do we have?
- What is the anticipated capacity of the Rimrock area school?
- What type of school will the Rimrock area school be? What is the process for determining this?
- What is the timeline for moving into the new school?
- Will the new elementary school have an after school program like Allis Elementary currently does?
- Why does MMSD want two schools to share a building?
- What is the overall cost of this part of the facility referendum?
- What is the timeline for Nuestro Mundo Community School to move from the Monona Grove School District back into MMSD?
- How will the operations of the new school be funded?
Rimrock Elementary School Pre-Vote Resources
After collecting input from parents, staff, and community members, the Board of Education voted in late summer 2020 that Allis Elementary School students will move to the newly constructed school at 501 East Badger Road and that the Nuestro Mundo Community School will move from their current leased facility in the Monona Grove School District to a permanent home in MMSD on Buckeye Road where Allis is currently located.