Strategic Framework Recalibration
Making MMSD’s Vision and Goals a Reality: The Strategic Framework Recalibration
To realize our district vision where every school will be a thriving school that prepares students to graduate ready for college, career, and community, we are taking an intentional and comprehensive look at our Strategic Framework.
MMSD’s Strategic Framework, adopted in 2018, guides the district’s work and outlines our collective vision and goals as a school district. It’s our roadmap to accelerate learning, close opportunity gaps, and ensure all of our scholars thrive. It details our vision, goals, core values, strategy, and specific actions we are taking as a district to raise achievement.
Vision for the Future - 2040 and Beyond
For the past year, work has been underway to review the current Framework. We have partnered with a dynamic consultancy firm as we engage in this recalibration process. This next iteration of the Strategic Framework and implementation plan is intended to move the district forward through 2040.
Identifying what successfully attaining the goals will look like, sound like and feel like for stakeholders is critical. These success criteria will inform what will be measured and provide meaningful benchmarks to assess progress toward the goals, adjust implementation, assess for improvement and ensure intended impact for students, staff and the community.
Therefore, on March 22, 2023, the Joint Venture consultancy firm provided a summary report to the Board of Education, outlining the work of Phase One and previewing the word ahead. Four themes emerged from analyses of current data and information collected from feedback sessions, phone calls, and other written communications.
The four themes that emerged are:
- (Re)Commitment to Strategic Framework and Goals
- Leverage existing strengths and opportunities for growth towards achieving strategic framework goals
- Current leadership and cultural challenges to changing system outcome
- Ensure the district has the fiscal and human resources to engage in and to sustain prioritized strategies.
Next Immediate Steps: Start building the roadmap for implementation, improvement and impact In order to transition from having a strategic framework to using the strategic framework. This initial work will include pivoting from focusing on what the district does to how the district will collectively engage in, measure, improve and communicate what it does.
Share your feedback
An important component of the recalibration is to engage stakeholders in multiple phases of this work.
As such, we want to hear your perspectives about MMSD’s strategic plan, your experiences within MMSD, and better understand your needs and concerns.
Some members of our community may prefer to share their thoughts with the consultancy firm rather than directly with the district. Please share your feedback via this Google form; your feedback goes to the consultancy firm, who will then share compiled data with the district.
As stated above, our community and nation has experienced historic change. There is a need to:
- Revisit the Strategic Framework that underpins the work of the district because outcomes have not been impacted since the Framework was originally developed.
- Leverage what was learned during the pandemic to meet the needs of the community.
- Clearly define the work aligned with the Strategic Framework.
- Define and measure “success” through the perspective of stakeholders, including those who have been traditionally marginalized by the system.
- Develop and use effective communication strategies to engage stakeholders.
- Develop consistent ways of understanding and using the framework.
- Understand and address current barriers to attaining the district’s goals.
- Understand and leverage strengths within the district to attain the district’s goals.
- Learn from experts who have successful experience designing, improving, and supporting administrators and educators in implementing inclusive, equitable, and just educational systems.
- Develop a roadmap for implementing the recalibrated strategic plan as a sustainable path for the district and as a support for the next superintendent.