Budget Information 2022-23
MMSD Budget Development
How does it work?
Every year, we set out to develop a budget for our district that aligns with our Strategic Framework, meets the needs of students and staff, and is fiscally responsible in light of State mandated revenue restrictions. Our process is to:
- Collect and analyze input from students, staff and families collected throughout the year
- Work with schools and departments to determine budgeting goals and guiding principles
- Create a revenue forecast based on current law and projected enrollment
- Develop and fund our equity investments in line with the Strategic Framework and input received throughout the year
- Create a district-wide staffing plan using enrollment projections
- Develop a positive compensation strategy, including salaries/wages and benefits
- Budget expected increases, such as utilities and transportation costs
- Identify savings needed to balance budget gaps, focusing at the central office level first
Every year in May and June, the Board revisits this budget process to confirm directional decisions early in the process. Due to the impact of COVID-19, revisiting budget assumptions throughout the year will continue to be critically important this year. All steps of the budget process will be done in consideration of the impacts COVID-19 has had on all of our learners in providing safe facilities and academic acceleration.
How does the Draft Preliminary Budget reflect the District’s priorities?
It is more important than ever for us to work in partnership with the community. Through our district ways of working, we collect and analyze feedback from students, staff and family all year. The data collected is analyzed by our qualitative research specialist and published on the research website. This information is then used by the Board of Education and the district’s Senior Leadership Team to develop the budget goals, parameters, and strategic equity projects. The following are primary examples of community input utilized to create the budget:
- Strategic Framework listening sessions report
- Public Speaking input at Regular and Operating Work Group Board Meetings
- BEP Community Feedback and Board Ad Hoc Committee
- Climate Survey (Under Public Dashboards Tab)
- Building Excellence Feedback
- Focus group feedback on the budget from parents, teachers, support staff and principals
Budget Approval Process:
On April 25, the 2022-23 Draft Preliminary Budget Proposal for the Madison Metropolitan School District was presented to the public for comments and feedback through the middle of June. Development of the proposal was guided by regular monthly direction provided by the Board, along with input from staff, parents, and the Madison community collected through the process to develop the new Strategic Framework and November 2020 referenda proposals.
The Board adopted the Fall Original Budget on October 24, 2022. The 2022-23 fiscal year began on July 1, 2022.
The revenue forecast for 2022-23, without any referenda authority, includes updated budget assumptions due to the impacts of COVID-19: (1) state ‘per pupil’ categorical aid to school districts will have no per pupil increase; (2) a $0 per student revenue limit increase in revenue limit authority; and (3) $8 million of new 2020 operating referendum authority.