Your child’s success in school is a goal we share. MMSD has adopted, as one of its priorities, that all students will have 94% attendance. Missing just two days a month adds up to the maximum of 10 days to be missed during the school year! We work hard to partner with our families to make sure all students are at school, on time for school and throughout the school day, every day!
Students who attend 94% of their school days are:
- More likely to be at grade level in math and in reading
- More likely to be promoted from 4th grade and/or 8th grade
- Less likely to be behind in their social-emotional development
- Less likely to drop out of high school
- Less likely to develop school refusal or school anxiety
- More likely to graduate from high school
If your child has 10 or more absences during the school year, your school may ask you to provide an note from a medical provider for the absence to be considered medically excused. Please stay in communication with your school regarding your child’s attendance, as 5 unexcused absences result in your student becoming Habitually Truant under Wisconsin State Statute. (see Habitual Truancy for more information)
We know that things come up for families during the school year and we are committed to working with you. Your school welcomes the opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns you may have regarding your child’s attendance. Please feel free to contact the Principal, Social Worker, School Nurse or School Psychologist if you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s attendance.