Play & Learn
Play and Learn is a fun and engaging program that is offered free-of-charge for children ages birth to 3+ and their caregivers, who reside in the Madison School District. The Play and Learn sessions provide a learning environment for families who may not have access to similar opportunities and who are not currently participating in similar programs. Children learn early math, literacy, and social skills through play and caregivers learn about child development, the importance of play, and parenting skills.
The mission of the Madison Metropolitan School District's Play and Learn Program is to provide a quality environment where parents and caregivers can develop and strengthen skills to enhance their child’s learning and growth in literacy, math, and social skills.
- To strengthen caregivers’ knowledge of child development and appropriate ways to stimulate learning
- To increase caregivers’ access to materials and ideas that can be replicated with children in their homes
- To promote community among participants and staff to support families with young children
- To provide a means for early detection of potential developmental delays
- To enhance caregivers’ competence and confidence in giving the child the best possible start in life
Who Can Attend?
The Play and Learn program is open to families who live in the Madison Metropolitan School District. The program model requires parents/caregivers to attend with the children. This may include parents, grandparents, other relatives, or non-regulated in-home care providers. Based on the nature of the program, with a focus on parent/caregiver education, we ask that parents/caregivers limit the number of children that they bring to any given session to three children. There is no cost to participate. Families are asked to attend on a regular basis due to limited capacity and waiting lists. Families can attend for two school years. Please contact a Play and Learn staff member to learn more about attending Play and Learn sessions.
How do I register for Play and Learn Sessions?
Contact Play and Learn staff members for assistance with registering for Play and Learn sessions.
- English (608) 204-6784
- Spanish (608) 204-7918
- Hmong (608) 212-4683
- To join virtual sessions, contact Kelly Knott at (608) 220-7332