Welcome to the Madison Metropolitan School District and the MMSD Family!
We are so thrilled to have your child starting school with us. This is such a special, memorable time in your child’s life – their first school backpack, first bus ride or walk to school and first experience in a classroom.
All children bring something unique and special to school, and we want them here.
We place a strong priority on providing ALL students with supportive, responsive learning environments centered around each individual student’s academic and social-emotional needs.
We are committed to academic excellence, equity, safety, and our community as we embrace the critical role our schools play in the lives of every student.
Thank you for choosing MMSD, we look forward to your partnership and collaboration.
Carlton D. Jenkins, Ph.D.
Madison Metropolitan School District
Help your child get ready for school!
The transition to 4K or 5K is a big change. To help your child succeed in September, here are a few simple things you can start to do at home now:
- Start talking about kindergarten and explain what your child can expect.
- Establish a bedtime and morning routine.
- Teach/practice self-help skills (dressing, independent toileting, washing hands, etc.)
- Read books about going to school. Find a list of suggested books at mmsd.org/kindergarten-books.
- Help your child learn their full name, address, and phone number.
- Teach your child how to ask for help if it is needed.
- Help your child develop the ability to play/work independently for 10–20 minutes.
Covid-19 Health & Safety
We must continue to be diligent in following the guidance of health experts and practicing safety protocols in order to provide safe, healthy, in-person learning environments for our students.
Consistent school attendance is one of the building blocks for student success. Good attendance contributes to students doing well in school and eventually in the workplace.
School Start & Dismissal Times
The start of school is the most exciting time of the year for students! Check your schools daily schedule to ensure your student is on time.
Student & Staff Support works collaboratively with departments across the central office to support the development of healthy, safe, and thriving school communities that create a true sense of belonging for all stakeholders.