PBS Wisconsin to Begin At-Home Learning Broadcasts
Beginning Monday, March 30, PBS Wisconsin is excited to announce an ambitious plan, in partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction and Milwaukee PBS, to support at-home learning for students and families by broadcasting a new weekday television schedule of programming with digital resources that connect to Wisconsin’s state academic standards.
You can find the weekly programming schedule and more resources for families on PBS Wisconsin's website.
Grades K-2: Choose your own adventure
Grades 3-5: Choose your own adventure
Visual Art & Music Activities
As daily routines have shifted, start to look for opportunities throughout the day to add in creative outlets. Whether exploring creatively indoors or taking new ideas outside, there are many ways one can be creative. Artistic exploration and problem-solving not only benefits your reasoning and interpretation skills, but also benefits your mental and emotional health and social growth.
Art Activities for Grades K-2
Art Activities for Grades 3-5
- Quick, Draw! Google Drawing game (Trackpad or mouse required)
- Mo Willems Lunch Doodle • update daily
- Thumbnail Sketch • Try it inside or outside!
- Art Institute of Chicago • Online Collection
- 12 Museums to Visit Online
- 50+ Creative Drawing Prompts • English Spanish
- This is Colossal (searchable Art & Design website)
Music Activities for Grades K-2
Music Activities Grades 3-5
Physical Activity & Movement Activities
As daily routines have shifted, start to look for opportunities throughout the day to add in physical activity. Whether exploring options to take part indoors or taking time to get outside, there are many ways one can be physically active. Physical activity not only benefits your physical health, but also mental, emotional, and social.
- Go Noodle - An online resource that provides families with a library of short “brain break” videos that are geared towards students in kindergarten through sixth grade, and cover a variety of activities, such as exercise, song, dance, mindfulness, and coordination.
- OPEN Physical Education Social Distancing Games - activities designed to be done with no manipulative equipment (to avoid the spread of germs) and while students adhere to the social distancing practice of staying six feet apart from others.
- OPEN Physical Education Wellness Resources
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Yoga, mindfulness and relaxation designed specially for kids aged 3+, used in schools and homes all over the world.
- Just Dance YouTube - Have a dance party or choreograph a dance to your favorite song.
Virtual Library Cards - Madison Public Library
If you don’t already have a library card, complete this form and a new digital library card will be emailed to you. According to the MadisonPublicLibrary.org: website: Your virtual library card provides access to Wisconsin's Digital Library (which is home to more than 71,000 digital books, audiobooks, videos and more) through June 30, 2020, as well as many other online resources, including more ebooks and online magazines purchased through an emergency gift from the Madison Public Library Foundation. Once the library re-opens, users can visit any library location with their photo ID and proof of address to get a full use library card. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Charter to offer free access to Spectrum Broadband and Wi-Fi
Remember that Charter is also offering free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households. Please note that enrollment will start Monday, March 16, 2020.
You can access free online resources for grades K-12.