Room for Regents to grow into tomorrow’s thriving citizens and leaders.
Built in 1930, Madison West High School is located a short distance from Madison’s city center. While the school received additions in the late 1960s and ’70s, a growing student population has resulted in a building that is currently over capacity.
West must wisely and creatively use its existing space to ensure a stimulating and supportive learning environment for future generations of Regents.
West scholars are eager for the opportunity to learn in innovative, flexible, student-centered environments that support multiple learning needs, collaboration, and creativity.
Through site visits, a review of the building’s age and condition, input from our instructional team, and feedback from students and staff, we have identified what we believe are the priorities at West that could be addressed with a 2020 facilities referendum.
An expansion on the Ash Street side of the building that honors the historic architecture and improves accessibility would increase access to instructional space and include a new Welcome Center designed as a welcoming space that would improve traffic flow and security.
A major reinvestment in classroom spaces would allow for learning environments that are student-centered, collaborative, and exploratory.
The addition of two elevators would make all spaces accessible.
The Library Media Center (LMC) would be designed for increased technology and greater flexibility in the use of space and our existing auditorium would be upgraded to meet current performance standards.
An upgrade of athletic and community facilities, including a new pool, women’s locker rooms, and field turf on high-use fields would create opportunities for new and better usage and partnerships with our community.
The installation of new thermally efficient windows and energy-saving window-shading and light-control solutions, along with all other renovations and upgrades, would be aligned to our commitment to environmental sustainability.
- Create twelve (12) additional classrooms, urgently needed for an already over-capacity student body.
- Significantly renovate existing classrooms, labs, and STEAM spaces to create stimulating learning and experimentation spaces.
- Redesign the Library Media Center (LMC) to be the school and technology hub, with improved lighting, group, and individual rooms and flexible space.
- Renovate the theater, rebranding the space and bringing it to a performance-quality venue, adding an elevator to address accessibility issues for theater and music rooms.
- Enlarge and upgrade fine arts/music spaces.
- Added space and improved traffic flow in common areas to ease capacity/overcrowding issues.
- Renovate Welcome Center, reorganize and more effectively place student support areas, renovate building for accessibility improvements, add elevators.
- Upgrade safety and alert systems (fire alarms, fire suppression, PAs).
- Develop community use spaces for increased partnership opportunities.
- Refresh courtyard to create more inviting outdoor spaces.
- Additional parking for more efficient and increased access to the school building.
Climate and Culture
Items in the report on the facility’s condition that were graded as a B or lower would be addressed. When students feel comfortable, healthy, and supported by their environment, they engage more in school in a positive way. These include:
- Upgrade mechanical systems so they are energy-efficient, climate-controlled, and reliable
- Improve building exterior including masonry repairs, windows and roof membrane
- Refresh indoor finishes of floors, ceilings and walls
- Update all restrooms to support student health, hygiene, privacy and comfort.
- Site improvements would include a landscaping plan, signage, asphalt repair, sidewalks and stairs, stormwater control, retaining walls and additional parking (as practical)
Community and Athletic Spaces
- Upgrade facilities used by the community for meetings, gatherings, adult sports leagues, youth sports teams, and other groups.
- Relocate the pool and create four additional classrooms in the existing pool’s location.
- Improve practice spaces, upgraded baseball field to include a new backstop and dugouts, replace all gym bleachers, consolidate weight room and add outdoor equipment storage space.
- Update locker rooms, including the addition of all-gender changing rooms.
- Refresh competition spaces to include upgrades to field turf and retaining wall.