Retiring from MMSD
You’ve had a successful career at MMSD and now you’re thinking of the next phase: retirement. The retirement process is simple, but planning is important because retirement planning can take time.
I’m thinking about retiring, but need more information. What should I do?
1. Attend Retirement Planning Meetings
- Attend the annual retirement workshop at MMSD in November (attendance is not mandatory but suggested at least 1 year prior to retirement)
- Attend a retirement consultation meeting with MMSD. You will receive an individualized Retirement Estimate Packet at that time. You can sign up for a meeting here.
- Schedule a retirement consultation with MTI if you are a MTI member
- Schedule a retirement consultation with your 403b provider, if you have a 403b plan
- Schedule a retirement consultation with WRS (can only be done after your WRS Pension estimate has been mailed to your home
2. Request Retirement Estimates
- WRS Pension estimate by calling WRS at -877-533-5020. Once received, schedule an individual consultation with WRS. This can be requested once every 12 months.
- MMSD Retirement Estimate Packet by completing this form. This can be requested once every 12 months.
3. Submit your Retirement Notice and complete your Retirement Estimate Packet
- Submit your Retirement (separation) Notice online.
- If needed, please refer to the written directions for completing the Notice.
When do I have to provide Notice that I plan to retire?
Your are responsible for submitting your online Retirement Notice no later than the dates outlined below. The Benefits Division will work with you on your individual retirement benefits and retirement process.
- Administrators: no later than January 15th
- Teachers: no later than February 15th
- Supportive Educational Employees: no later than 4 weeks before your last day worked
- All Others: no later than 2 weeks before your last day worked
Am I eligible to retire through MMSD (separate from WRS retirement)?
- Administrator: At least 55 years old
- Custodial: At least 55 years old, WRS or Social Security eligible
- Educational Assistant Employee: At least 55 years old, 10 years of service and WRS eligible
- Food Service: At least 55 years old, WRS or Social Security eligible
- Professional and Professional-Instructional: At least 55 years old
- Security: At least 55 years old, 10 years of service and WRS eligible
- Supportive Educational Employees: At least 55 years old and WRS eligible
- Teachers: At least 55 years old and years of Service + age = 75, or 30 years of service
Is there a difference between separation and retirement?
Yes. Separation simply means leaving MMSD employment. If you want to retire and are eligible to do so, retiring from MMSD allows for continuation of some benefits.
Have Questions? Contact the Benefits Helpdesk at email@example.com or at (608) 663-1692