W-2 Electronic Consent
The Madison Metropolitan School District Payroll Department is pleased to announce that employees may elect to receive their W‐2 statements online through Employee Self Service (ESS) or by email to your district email/Gmail account in an IRS approved PDF format. This allows you to print and send the electronic form with your tax return. Employees must elect this option by January 15, 2022 to be in effect for the 2021 W-2 and future W-2s.
MMSD is required by the IRS to furnish all employees with a Form W‐2 for each calendar year. The Form W‐2 details the employee’s compensation, tax withholdings and required disclosures for the year. In the past, employees have received paper copies of their W‐2.
An employee who consents to receiving the Form W-2 electronically will not receive a paper copy. If an employee does not consent, Payroll will mail a paper W-2 no later than January 31, 2022 via the US Postal Service to the current address on record. To change a mailing address visit the ESS site.
Payroll will mail Form W-2, using the US Postal Service, to the current address on record of those employees who have separated from MMSD and have not selected ESS as a delivery method. ESS is available to separated employees for up to 2 years.
Please read all of the following information and provide your consent to receive Form W-2 in electronic format by visiting the ESS site to select email or through ESS. You will NOT receive an electronic W-2 and 1095 unless you complete this step!
For additional information or questions, contact us at: email@example.com
Benefits of Receiving Form W-2 Electronically
- Online delivery provides access to the W‐2 statement earlier than the traditional paper process.
- Online delivery eliminates the chance that the W‐2 statement will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery or misplaced after the employee receives it.
- Employees can retrieve their W‐2 statements at any time of day and on weekends.
- Employees can print multiple copies at their convenience.
- Employees are contributing to cost savings (forms, printing and postage expense).
- W‐2 statements will remain on ESS for multiple years.
Federal regulations require that employees give their consent to receive the W-2 in an electronic format. Once consent is given it carries forward each year and does not need to be repeated. An employee can withdraw their consent to online delivery by emailing Payroll. If consent is withdrawn, it will be effective only for those Form W-2s not yet issued.
How to Give Consent to Receive Your Electronic W-2
The process for giving consent to receive the electronic W-2 version is quick and easy. Just follow these steps:
Employees must elect this option by January 15, 2022
- Go to the ESS site.
- In the upper right corner click Log In. The user name is your b number, with the b and the password for a first time user is the last four digits of their social security number
- First time users may see Employee Self-Service on the left side of the screen, click this and then Personal Information
- Employees that have logged into ESS before will immediately see a menu on the left side, click on Personal Information.
- The center of the screen is titled Personal Information. Click on the phrase Tax form delivery.
- Now, choose if you would like an emailed or ESS only W-2 and 1095 (this provides your health insurance proof).
- That's it! There is nothing to save and you may close out of ESS by clicking on your name in the upper right corner and choosing Log Out.
Remember this stays in effect until you email Payroll and request otherwise.
How to View and Print Your Electronic W-2
When the prior year W-2s are available a notice will be in the MMSD Connect. The process to view and print the electronic W-2 version is simple. Just follow these steps:
- If you selected to receive these by district email/Gmail, simply wait for the email delivery and the use the last four digits of your social security number as the password. Print as needed
- The email subject line will be titled "HIGH IMPORTANCE - IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENT AVAILABLE" and have a warning on it. This is not a virus.
- If you selected delivery by Self Service Only, go to the ESS site.
- In the upper right corner click Log In. The user name is your b number, with the b and your new password
- On the left side of the menu click on Pay/Tax Information, then click on W-2.
- In the Year: drop down field select the year you are looking for. Most recent year defaults.
- The basic information is on the screen. To view an image of the W-2 go to the right side, and click on View W-2 image
- A PDF of the W-2 will appear. Print, email, or save as needed.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: These documents contain your social security number, which you will want to protect to help prevent identity theft. Employees are advised to not leave their computer screen unattended when viewing W-2 forms. Also, be sure to retrieve the printed copy promptly if routed to a network printer shared by others.