Breakfast and Lunch for Kids
We are now offering curbside meal service at 40 school sites, for all children 18 years of age or younger. Each site has pickup one day per week for family convenience. Students will receive a market food box with all of the components for 7 balanced breakfast and lunch meals that meet the requirements for the National School Lunch & Breakfast Programs.
- Meals will be provided free of charge to all students regardless of free, reduced or paid status eligibility.
- Each 5 day box is about 12"X 9"X 9" in size and weighs just under 10 pounds.
- Milk will be available as an option.
- Please remember to apply for free & reduced meal benefits during enrollment this year. You need to apply each school year.
- Heating instructions can be found here.
What to know before picking up meals:
- Families are no longer required to pre-order their meal boxes. We currently have enough production history to be able to forecast the required number of meal boxes needed for each daily route. However, if you are a new group and going to pick up a large number of meal boxes (10+), please contact Dustin Lundt at (608) 204-4008. Dustin will make arrangements to have meal boxes available on a specific route and day for you.
- You can pick up meals from any school that is convenient for you.
Weekly Schedule - Starting April 19
All Daytime Curbside Market Box Sites will be moving to a Monday only Delivery Schedule with new Market Box Options.
All times listed here are on Mondays:
- Mendota Elementary - 9:00-9:45am
- Eagle Heights Community Center, 611 Eagle Heights Dr - 9:00-10:00am
- Chávez Elementary - 9:00-10:00am
- Reindahl Park, 1818 Portage Rd - 10:00-10:45am
- Falk Elementary - 10:00-11:00am
- Midvale Elementary - 10:20-11:00am
- Memorial High - 10:20-11:15am
- East High - 11:05am-12:15pm
- Allied Boys & Girls Club, 4619 Jenewein Rd - 11:15am-12:15pm
- Lincoln Elementary - 11:20am-12:00pm
- Toki / Orchard Ridge - 11:30am-1:30pm
- La Follette High - 12:15-1:30pm
- Leopold Elementary - 12:30-1:30pm
- Kennedy Elementary - 12:35-1:30pm
Monday Curbside Routes will now have the following options available:
- 7 Day Meal Boxes available for all children 18 years or younger, learning virtually and/or not enrolled in MMSD
- 5 Day Meal Boxes available for all children 18 years or younger, attending in-person learning 2 days per week.
- 3 Day Meal Boxes for all children 18 years or younger attending in person learning 4 days per week.
Evening Market Box Sites
Evening sites will still be open, serving 7 Day Meal Boxes only. The schedule for those is as follows:
- Tuesday, 4:00-6:00pm: Food Production Center, 4711 Pflaum Rd
- Wednesday, 4:00-6:00pm: Memorial High School, Door #6
- Thursday, 3:30-5:30pm: East High School, Door #4 – Fieldhouse Entrance
Tell me more about this program
MMSD Food & Nutrition has been working to fight hunger since the COVID-19 pandemic started last March and our schools were suddenly closed. Our emergency response was to provide breakfast and lunch meals for curbside pickup at 12 sites across the city, with four additional sites in coordination with other food access agencies in Dane County. Together, we were able to provide over 16,000 meals per week at these locations last spring.
With feedback from families, we had a bigger and better plan for the start of school in September that would help us to meet our goal of providing food for all children in need.
The improvements that we made include:
- Increasing the number of curbside sites from 16 to 40
- Providing a market food box with 7 breakfast and 7 lunch meals for “one-stop shopping”
- Building in variety with a 3-week menu cycle for the market food box
- Piloting neighborhood delivery by partnering with Badger Bus to provide delivery service to high-need areas that aren’t within walking distance of our 40 sites
These results have been extremely well received and we are now serving over 50,000 meals per week this fall. Thank you to all who are participating and to our dedicated Food & Nutrition team.
Other meal options from our community partners
There are also a variety of pop-up mobile food pantry sites in our community that you can take advantage of at this time. Learn more about those here.