MMSD Planetarium & Nature Net
Nature Net is an environmental learning network of nature centers, museums, parks, gardens, and more. Nature Net's mission is to increase access to free and low-cost environmental education resources and to promote collaboration and educational excellence in nature education throughout the region and beyond.
Bus Funding: Nature Express
One of the ways that Nature Net increases access to environmental education sites and resources is through its Nature Express transportation reimbursement program. If you schedule two thematically-related field trips to any Nature Net member sites within the school year, they will reimburse up to $80 per bus for one of the trips. This could include two visits to the planetarium if they are thematically-related. Or, you can recruit a fellow teacher to join your class for their first Nature Net field trip to share with them how nature-based activities can be incorporated into their classroom.
For more information, and to apply for this program, visit the Nature Express website.
Thematic Units Ideas
Rocks and Minerals:
- Hunting for Rocks in the Solar System (MMSD Planetarium)
- Pebbles, Sand and Silt (Aldo Leopold Nature Center)
- Rocks ROCK (Cave of the Mounds)
- Tours at the UW Geology Museum
- Moonwatch 1: MMSD Planetarium program intended to introduce a Moon observation unit.
- Moonwatch 2: MMSD Planetarium program intended to help wrap up the end of a Moon observation unit.
Changes Over Time:
- Home Sweet Home 2: MMSD Planetarium program exploring two themes — where we live, and changes that happen over time.
- Changes Over Time (ALNC)