Internal Transfer Requests
The internal transfer process provides an opportunity for students to attend an MMSD school that is outside of their regular MMSD attendance area. Transportation is not provided to students attending under an internal transfer.
Apply online starting May 1, 2023. Application closes at 4pm on May 19, 2023.
- Applicants will know if their request has been approved or placed on a wait list on or before July 1.
- Students on the wait list will know if their application has been approved or denied on the Thursday before the first day of school.
- Requests on the wait list are processed before second round requests.
Second round application opens May 19, 2023 at 4pm., application closing TBD.
- Applicants will know if their request has been approved or denied on the Thursday before the first day of school.
Schools at Capacity
Schools at capacity for the 2023-24 school year will be posted on April 29, 2023.
Elementary to Middle School, Middle to High School
Like most districts, MMSD’s schools are set up in what are called feeder patterns. These patterns group certain elementary schools together and students from those schools go to the same middle school. The same is true for grouping middle schools together for going on to high school. When a student progresses from 5th to 6th grade, they have to reapply if they want to follow along with their school's feeder pattern, unless they already live in that middle school's attendance boundary. The same is true for students moving from middle to high school (8th to 9th grade). Please note this only applies to students under the new transfer policy, 2015-2016 or later. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the enrollment office at (608) 663-4957 if you have any questions regarding an existing or future internal transfer.
- Transportation is not provided to students attending under an internal transfer.
- You can review the revised Board Policy 4023 – Internal Transfers by clicking here
- Click here to view the internal transfer procedure and how the district decides an internal transfer request
If your child has an approved internal transfer from the 2014-15 school year, nothing has changed for your child and their transfer. They continue to follow the rules outlined in the previous version of Board Policy 4023 – Internal Transfers. For a copy of the policy that applies to internal transfers approved for 2014-15 and before, click HERE.