Data Use Resources
Data Use Resources are timeless tools that focus on general topics related to data use that are applicable across multiple types of data. They vary in format and organization depending on the topic. On this page you will find Data Use Resources and helpful tools from the SBLT Toolkit and/or the Teacher Team Toolkit (indicated in parentheses), as well as those developed by staff in the Research & Program Evaluation Office.
Data Use Resources developed by RPEO staff focus on communicating, visualizing, and collecting data:
- Building Better Surveys - This resource provides guidance on the use, development, and administration of surveys, as well as analyzing and communicating results.
- Building Presentations around Data - When faced with a tremendous amount of data, it can be difficult to create a clear presentation of targeted findings - this resource can help! (It will help staff who have already analyzed the data, but need to communicate findings to a new audience).
- Five Tips for Building Better PowerPoint Presentations - Five simple steps can help you create a better PowerPoint experience for your audience, and this resource shows you what those are.
- Gain vs. Growth - In the world of assessments, there is gain and there is growth, and this difference is critical. Read this resource to learn the differences and how these concepts apply to School Improvement Plan Goals and Student Learning Objectives.
- Building Better Tables and Graphs [Coming Soon] - previous version available upon request
SBLTs and Teacher Teams have a host of analytic tools in their respective Toolkits to help them wade through and make sense of data. These are available below, and can also be found in the SBLT Toolkit and the Teacher Team Toolkit:
- Walkthrough Data (Tool 4b from the SBLT Toolkit) - Walkthroughs support great teaching and learning, and they are meant to collect data on strategies identified in school SIPs. This tool provides guidance on how Walkthroughs work and the role data plays in these meetings.
- Deep Dive Visit Data (Tool 4c from the SBLT Toolkit) - Data collected during Deep Dives enhance collaborative problem-solving around focus areas in the SIP. Once the data is collected, trends are identified, root cause analysis occurs, and action steps are developed. Read this tool to learn more about Deep Dives.
- Essential Questions for a High-Quality Data Overview (Tool 4d from the SBLT Toolkit - Data Overviews are part of some SBLT meetings - this tool provides guidance on ensuring these are as effective and impactful as possible.
- Data Analysis Protocol (Tool 6a from the SBLT Toolkit, also in Teacher Team Toolkit) - This tool and protocol helps staff analyze qualitative and quantitative data, identify root causes, and determine next steps.
- Root Cause Analysis (Tool 6b from the SBLT Toolkit) - This tool and protocol walks staff through the process of identifying root causes or the basic explanation for a problem.
- From Piles of Data to Action (Tool 7a from the SBLT Toolkit) - Excerpted from Data Wise, this tool and protocol illustrates what a school action plan could look like.
Contact the Research & Program Evaluation Office if you have questions or suggestions for additional resources to be added.