Data Sharing Agreements with MMSD
One of the ways to access individual-level data at MMSD is through the use of a data use agreement (DUA), which is a legal document drafted between the user and the district. It undergoes an extensive review process by multiple legal parties before MMSD's Board of Education signs off on the release of the individual-level data outlined within that document via the consent agenda at a Regular Board meeting each month. At MMSD, the process of developing and executing a data sharing agreement can take quite a bit of time as there are multiple steps in the process, and there are different tracks that data use agreements need to take depending on the purpose of the data use agreement (e.g., external research, contracted work).
Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.
- Do I always need a DUA for a research project?
- Do I need individual-level data?
- Why is there a need for a feedback period between the researcher, MMSD, and both legal departments?
- How accurate is the timeline provided and how long should I expect before I receive the data I need?
- If I have questions for MMSD, who should I contact?