Academic & Career Planning Resources for Families
Did you know that families play a very important role in determining young people's post-secondary paths. One study found that an overwhelming 88% of adolescents shared their parents' beliefs about the types of occupations they consider acceptable and the kinds of preparation needed for those occupations. (Ready, Willing, and Able by Mandy Savitz-Romer). Below, you'll find resources that you can access to support your student.
- Madison Metropolitan School District College Planning Website- support for navigating the search, application, and financial aid process.
- Madison Metropolitan School District Career Planning Website- support for your career search, applying for a job, and experiential learning.
- Xello Resources- Xello is an online post-high school and career exploration tool that you can navigate with your student.
- Career Conversation Starters
- ACP one-pager- an overview of key Academic and Career Planning activities at each grade level
- College Board Parent Action Plan: Middle School
- Five Ways Parents Can Help Their Kids Transition Smoothly to Middle School
- How to Talk to Your Middle Schooler (So They Might Actually Listen to You)
- College Board Parent Action Plan: 9th/10th grade
- Three Tips to Help Your Teen Transition to High School
- Resume Tips
- Reviewing your High School Transcript
- Graduation Requirements