Early College STEM Academy
The Early College STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Academy is a partnership between the Madison Metropolitan School District and Madison College. The Academy is designed to expand access to college courses in science, technology, engineering and math and to increase opportunities for students to earn college credit in high school at no cost to them or their families. Learn more about the Early College STEM Academy in this Curriculum Overview.
See what current students (and their parents) enrolled in the Early College STEM Academy have to say about their experience so far.
Learn more about the Early College STEM Academy
Congratulations to our inaugural cohort on earning a 3.6 grade point average in the first semester! This article by the Wisconsin State Journal does a great job of highlighting and explaining the program.
Apply for the Early College STEM Academy
The online application for Early College STEM Academy is available now. Online Application window will be November 16 - January 29, 2021
High school sophomores must meet the following criteria: Minimum 2.25 grade point average; 90% attendance rate
All students are encouraged to apply, with a special emphasis on those that are traditionally underrepresented in STEM and STEM-related fields, including students who identify as female and students of color.
- How do I apply?
- Who can apply?
- If I am not selected as a 10th grader, can I apply again in my 11th grade year?
- Can students still participate in extracurricular activities at their home high school?
- Are there other elective course options available(World Languages, Social Sciences, Humanities, Art, etc.)?
- Will elective courses be with the ECSA cohort or with other Madison College students?
- My child is taking advanced math coursework. Will they have math course options to fit their current placement?
- Will students be able to continue study of a world language?
- What does the daily schedule in the program look like?
- Where will classes take place?
- Will ECSA student all be together for classes for the duration of the program?
- Will courses be on a college schedule?
- What is the start and end time of school?
- How many classes will they be taking in a day?
- What courses will ECSA students be able to take?
- My child is in DLI – can they participate in the Early College STEM Academy?
- My child is in AVID – can they participate in the Early College STEM Academy?
- My child is in PEOPLE – can they participate in the Early College STEM Academy?
- Are students eligible for scholarships for additional college work after they graduate from the Early College STEM Academy?
- Will students still take the ACT test?
For general questions about the program, contact Cindy Green at 608-663-5216
Capital High - Marianne Matt
La Follette - Judy Christensen
Shabazz - Elizabeth Long