Thank you for your support
Thank you for your support Thank you for your support of our school district referendum. The referendum passed with a 74% majority vote. We are encouraged and bolstered by our community's support of our public schools and eager to make more progress on behalf of the students and families of Madison.
Madison Public Schools are on the move
We are on a mission to close the gaps in opportunity that lead to disparities in achievement, and to ensure every child is academically challenged in a safe and supportive environment.
Read details on our progress at mmsd.org/framework.
Learn more about how we are building momentum.
We believe we have a responsible approach to budget development, repurposing funding to focus on priorities, finding efficiencies and staying focused on teaching and learning. But even with this smart approach, over time, state cuts will take a dangerous toll on our community’s public schools.
The Backstory - Referendum Details
The state has put us in a situation where we cannot fund operations on a going-forward basis under the limits it has set. School districts can exceed the limits by asking voters to approve an increase in a referendum.
The November referendum would permanently raise the school district’s revenue limit authority by $26 million over 4 years. The increase would be phased in over four years.
The referendum would raise the district’s revenue limit authority by:
The specific annual amounts are designed to support operational needs while maintaining an affordable tax levy.
Need more information?
Access and download our informational materials:
Vote November 8
The question appears on the back of the voting ballot, so make sure you flip it over to vote.
- 'Deeper and more disruptive cuts' ahead if referendum fails, Madison school leader predicts, Wisconsin State Journal, October 13, 2016
- Nan Brien and Barbara Arnold: Madison school referendum deserves strong support, Wisconsin State Journal, October 12, 2016
- Preparing for the MMSD referendum, Channel3000.com, October 11, 2016
- Madison School District to hold 2 informational forums on upcoming referendum, Wisconsin State Journal, October 6, 2016
- Citizens should learn about MMSD’s referendum at info session, Channel3000.com, September 19, 2016
- MMSD: $26 million operating referendum on Nov. ballot, ConnectFitchburg.com, September 8, 2016
- A Vision for All Graduates, Rotary Club of Madison, Wisconsin, September 8, 2016
- MMSD votes to include multimillion-dollar referendum on November ballot, Channel3000.com, August 30, 2016
- MMSD votes to include multimillion-dollar referendum on November ballot (video), Channel3000.com, August 30, 2016
- Madison School District to seek more operating money from voters in November, Wisconsin State Journal, August 30, 2016
- MMSD School Board discusses possible November referendum, NBC 15, August 15, 2016